It’s important to make bold moves in the battle against inequality, but we can’t always run full-speed ahead into the front lines. Wrestling with deeply ingrained ignorance and misogyny can be exhausting. I mean, sometimes just getting out of bed and putting on pants is exhausting. We need to take a moment every once in a while to rest up for the next drive.
Unfortunately, the patriarchy doesn’t take breaks. It’s fed by the confidence of mediocre men, so there’s no shortage of fuel. To stay vigilant, we have to find ways to keep it in check even when we feel drained. As a public service, I’ve started a list of easy acts we can take to fight the man. No battle gear required. Here’s what I’ve got so far:
- Keep talking when you get interrupted.
- Order the pasta on a first date and actually finish it.
- Pull a Hillary and ditch the make-up.
- Don’t move out of the way when a man walks into you on the sidewalk.
- Politely ask a man to close his legs on the train.
- Stop being embarrassed when someone sees your very unshaven legs.
- Wear flat shoes to fancy events.
- Rename your virtual assistant, so it answers to Alfred instead of Alexa.
- Learn the names of five female scientists and tell people about them.
- Give a woman you love a compliment that has nothing to do with the way she looks.